Wednesday, April 09, 2008

More Ian McEwan

Over the last couple days I read On Chesil Beach, a remarkable exploration of a wedding night gone horribly awry. This one should not be made into a movie, please don't do it. Don't sell the rights. Don't even think about it. It's all the interior monologue of the two protagonists. While somewhat lacking in verisimilitude (could they really have talked so little both being so intelligent?) I found however that it easily reverberated with my own experiences (nothing like the novel, but analogous). And in Burkina and Ghana, even simple interactions are so ripe for mutual misunderstanding.... not just with "westerners", but amongst people living in the same village for years. I love it when we're in the middle of a FAVL discussion and one of the librarians gives a quizzical look to one of the others, like, "I can't figure you out..."

No comments: